When checking my blog stats, I noticed that many people end up on my blog from a google search on laxatives for weight loss. How sad.
Laxatives are not useful for weight loss. They cause loss of water weight. Not fat loss. The drop on the scale is not permanent. As soon as you replace the lost water, your scale will be back where you started.
You would think that a diet “guru” like Heidi Diaz would know this. And I think she does. Is she also aware that her advice to take laxatives to produce a temporary scale loss might end up killing someone?
Extensive laxative abuse can cause:
- Dehydration. Dehydration can cause weakness, blurry vision, fainting, kidney damage, and (in cases of severe dehydration) death.
- Electrolyte imbalance. Electrolytes are minerals (sodium, potassium, calcium, etc.) that are in body fluids in very precise amounts and ratios. Electrolytes are responsible for proper functioning of nerves and muscles. Laxative abuse can upset a person’s electrolyte balance and cause improper functioning of vital organs, like the heart!
- Laxative dependence. This is when the colon requires larger and larger doses of laxatives to produce bowel movements. People often become so dependent on laxatives that their body loses the ability to produce bowel movements on it’s own without the aid of laxatives.
Or listen to the advice of someone that tried it:
Okay, I had a really long reply typed but here’s what I was going to say in a nutshell. I’m only 23 years old, and I have been dealing with this problem for 10 years already. And, don’t do it, seriously, please read this and seriously consider the truth, and hopefully you will realize that it doesn’t help you at all in the long run.
Okay, yes taking laxatives or I should say abusing them will actually help you lose weight. But, the ways that they do it are as follows:
- You realize hey I weigh less today!
- Then, you convince yourself that you don’t want to eat because you don’t want to gain the weight back.
- You find yourself drinking less.
- You get nauseated when you attempt to eat.
- And, you constantly have diarrhea, you can’t control when where or who is in the public restroom at work/school when you have it.
Look, it’s not pretty, but it gets worse. If you still think it’s worth it, listen to the rest. Picture yourself thinner, and then picture yourself smiling, and when you look at that smile, broken and thin brittle teeth. Pretty huh? True though, because laxatives can remove the calcium from your body because it won’t let your body absorb the calcium Hardly no one seems to realize that this is a horrible side effect. Your teeth can practically crumble. And your bones…easily broken.
Also, you can end up in the hospital for any of many many reasons, where they will pump you full of potassium (oh, and that reallllllly hurts!! It causes your arms to swell, and every vein they put the iv in with that crap, collapsed).
And, you can get jaundice (where your skin turns yellow) from your liver enzymes being high because of organs failing, and end up with a not so pretty scar on your stomach.
And, think about your colon, no seriously think about it for a second, think about the alternatives to keeping it healthy.
Okay, so those are the physical problems.
I’ve tried to sum it up for ya, but it’s not a short list. I hope that you realize that this is a baddddddd decision, and not one easily kicked.
The TRUTH recently posted a series of PM’s from Kimmer (aka Heidi Diaz) where laxative abuse is recommended.